If you have a Facebook, they somehow check out the other things you do on the internet (don't ask me how, but they do) and put ads in your sidebar based on that. They also do this based on whatever interests you put in your profile, but I assumed that. I found this out today, because Facebook has been advertising (in this order) gay-friendly colleges, engagement rings, wedding dresses, figure out what your baby will look like with this person photo sites, Jersey Shore stuff, and a musical about the Book of Mormon, among the usual things I might be interested in.
This is funny, see, because Facebook is taking my Googling of Jersey Shore (which I did to research a previous post) as my interest in it. Same with the Mormon stuff. I looked that up for research for an upcoming post (scared?). I would guess the wedding/baby stuff is because I'm currently in a relationship, and the gay-friendly things because in my "interested in" section I checked both genders. Whoever thought of this targeted advertising thing didn't think of people like me, who will Google anything under the sun. So far this week I've looked up Doc Martens, Malcolm Reynolds, boots, Simon Tam, hackysack, Book of Mormon, Kama Sutra, James May (that was C., actually), Mary Sue and "hasing kek." So have fun figuring out what kinds of things to advertise to me. (Another thing-I don't spend money on much, other than secondhand clothes, food, sewing stuff, and the occasional thing for a costume. So advertising to me is a futile gesture. I won't buy anything.)
I just set up a search history, I'm curious to see what I look up this week. This is also something to do while I finish up the next post I have planned. I'm collaborating with A. for this one, so it will take a little longer than usual. Also, it's supposed to snow tomorrow or something, and it's my birthday. So, I will be bouncing around because of the precipitation and contemplating how I will be different now that I'm 20. (Seriously, I can't teenage-angst anymore...)
No comments:
Post a Comment