Friday, January 7, 2011

I Whip My Hair Back And Forth.

Will Smith has a child, named Willow. Criticisms of his naming abilities aside, I wonder at his parenting abilities. When Willow was ten, she recorded this song. At eleven she made that video. I have a couple problems with this.

1.) The Lyrics

The lyrics. Yes, they're all about "don't let the haters hate, feel good about yourself and have a good time." But, she's ten. She's talking about turning her swag on, and keeping the party jumping. What ten year old thinks about that? (Or goes to parties that jump???) When I was ten all I cared about was the toe seams in socks, trying to convince my mom to get pizza for dinner, and my stuffed bunny. What's all this about self esteem? And those parties. I went to BIRTHDAY parties, and those don't jump unless the host has a trampoline in her back yard.

Age of the singer/writer (I haven't been able to figure out if she wrote this, or someone wrote it for her) aside, this isn't a well-written song. The beat is catchy, and it sounds good, but the lyrics are awful. In my opinion. I'm sure some disagree. I know that some stuff I dislike, other people find value or enjoyment in and such, but I very strongly believe that these lyrics are in no way good. Catchy, maybe, but not something one can derive deeper meaning from. Also, I think "swag" is ridiculous. (I just realized, this is like the uber-censored version of Kesha's Tik Tok. A little.)

2.) The Video

Don't get me wrong, the concept of the boring white room and adding color to it is pretty brilliant, this was filmed well and looks great and all. Willow (from what the internet tells me) was eleven when she shot this. She has so many things on her nails, and the way she's dressed. It doesn't scream "I'm a female with no morals", so she is dressed appropriately I'll admit, but I feel like she isn't really wearing typical eleven year old clothing. I guess I'm really old-fashioned for having this opinion, but isn't this a bit young to be doing all this? She's already a successful child actor. She would have a lot more freedom to sing about whatever the heck she wants to once she's older.

Conclusion: This song is catchy, but the lyrics are awful (even if Willow's age wasn't an issue).


There was also a video of a parrot dancing to it, but someone decided to be lame and claim a copyright.

2 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree. I've heard that song before and I totally didn't know that the artist was Willow Smith! I'm kinda surprised that her mother let her do it; like this could have been a really cute song but it seems geared toward an older audience, which I really don't agree with for a younger artist. If the artist is making music for an older audience than it follow that he or she would adopt the culture and habits of that older audience. I just hope that the Smiths don't allow her to take it too far. They seem to be more down to earth celebrities.

    also, the Neil Young version was hilarious xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, some parts of the video really make me think this is intended for an older audience even though it claims to be "kid-friendly". It really has to be, because I doubt the eleven-year-olds of the world have as much buying power as adults do. I really hope it doesn't go that far.

    Almost makes the existence of the song tolerable.

    ReplyDelete